Two weeks ago the government announced our nation's lock down measures. To fight this lingering and invisible war against coronavirus, we're told to stay at home. So, how is it going? Have you coped? Are you coping?
We can't control the situation, but we can control our response to it. By staying at home, we're saving lives and the NHS.
Yesterday, I stood at my neighbour's garden gate while chatting with her. My neighbour apologised for talking too much, as she hadn't seen anyone that day, and her husband of 57 years died last June. We mentioned the Thursday 8pm 'clapping for care workers', which brought our neighbourhood together.
Ironically, I'm also seeing my Diversity Trust colleagues more. We all work remotely. We have associates from Devon to London and in France and China. Our work also has a regional, national and global reach. Therefore, in a short space of time, we've strengthened our digital communications, which united our team for creating fantastic work.
So I wonder if other organisations can follow our lead, by identifying the right technology. Just imagine, no more early morning commutes, traffic congestion, waiting at bus stops and better air quality, more time in the week for being 'you' and enjoying life.
So, while the world takes a break from our human activity, it's time to pause and really think about how we do things.
I also work as a fitness instructor. Therefore, I miss being in a space for doing particularly activities. For example, the gym is a space for getting healthy and fitter; the office is a space for doing my work; a cafe is a space for enjoying an indulging mocha while catching up with friends. For now, I'm doing all these activities at home. No longer can I shut the door on the world, eat and then chill. My home has become my gym, office and cafe where I chat with friends online.
We've seen an avalanche of home workouts on the internet. Instagram sensation and exercise guru, Joe Wickes, hasn't allowed his arm injury to interfere with his chance to shine. A colleague shared some home working tips, which suggested keeping the nine-to-five office routine and not allowing house work to interfere with our day. We all function differently. For me, working at home isn't the same as being in the office. I see house work as an opportunity to break up the long hours of sitting down and glaring at my laptop screen. However, doing my exercises early in the morning or after 5pm does work for me, so I have a sense of structure and routine. I can also exercise while my food cooks in the oven.
We're told we're social animals, so doing everything in isolation isn't good for us, especially if we live alone. So keep the bigger picture in mind. Use this time to pause and learn.

Comments
Post a Comment