Mental Health Awareness Week 2020





It’s mental health awareness week 2020. This year’s theme was #kindnessmatters. Although the Mental Health Foundation chose kindness for highlighting compassion and kindness during our Covid-19 Pandemic, my Blog will reflect on self-care.

We became quiet since the UK announced a national lockdown on Monday 23 March. Our roads, parks, offices, bars, gyms and retail shops emptied. And people who could work from home 'did'. We can’t see our friends and extended families. This period of change gave us time to pause and think.

My Blog on Saturday 4 April mainly discussed how we do things, and doing it better, which doesn’t harm the environment as much. So, if working from home and hosting meetings online works, then why should we stop? No more congested, car fumey commutes! Hooray!!

In 2012, I trained as a Level 3 Fitness Instructor. My course covered the five principles of health, which are:

1.       Spiritual Health
2.       Physical Health
3.       Social Health
4.       Mental Health
5.       Environmental Health

And I noticed there's now a sixth principle:

6.       Intellectual health.

I assume each principle of health is different for each person.

Personally, I’ve neglected my health needs while rushing and commuting from job to job and then feeling too tired in my spare time. So, our lockdown has made me stop and think.  

Spiritual Health

Since our lock down started, I’ve had time to pause and explore my spiritual needs. For me, this was Buddhism. The Buddhist Centre is now running its meetings online, which makes joining the sessions for learning about Buddhism easier. I find the Buddhism way of thinking therapeutic. For example, our last session covered how our minds grip onto experiences that may or may not be good for us, so being more present enables freedom.
 
Physical Health

The gym closed! Nooooo!!! However, I could exercise while doing my housework. That’s a win, win. I improved my bodyweight dips and pull ups, which I normally avoid in the gym, and I rediscovered the joys of Yoga.
 
Social Health

I normally feel socially awkward and prefer my own company or being with dogs. However, I miss my social spaces, such as libraries, the office and gyms, where you can feel other people’s energy. Meeting people and groups online is great, but human connection outweighs this. So, life is short! After lockdown, I’m joining the indoor climbing and wild swimming groups, and I’ll overcome my shyness with the occasional gin and tonic on a Saturday night.

Mental Health

I exercise and freelance for earning money and boosting my self-esteem. However, I feel if we address all the six principles of health, they’ll improve our mental health. And since we became prisoners in my own homes - reading, mediation, watching comedy and going outdoors supports my mental health more than ever.
  
Environmental Health

Environmental health is about planning, planning, planning. Is your house safe, secure and warm? Are there home improvements which aren’t getting done? This is the time to plan, budget and explore. Also, are you spending enough time with your friends, peers and family? And how can you improve this?
  
Intellectual health

While growing up, I learnt playing the guitar and I loved learning languages and creating art. Why did I stop? How can I bring these activities back into my world?

Take action

So mental health awareness week really is a time to stop and reflect. I used my own situation as an example to improve my quality of life through the six principles of health. 

However, caring, work and financial commitments can make our self-care challenging. But if you look after you, you’ll become more fit and healthy to look after others.

There’s plenty of resources out there. Search for mental health, wellbeing and social prescribing services in your area. List your hobbies and interest. Create a weekly activities calendar and stick to it. And finally, budget and invest in your wellbeing. You only live once. 

Comments